We’d like to thank Carolyn for sending in the photo and story for her piece. Carolyn used the Floral French Knot challenge to make a tin she’d been saving into a mending kit. She used the tin’s lattice-work as background for the wisteria made of varied size French Knots.
From Carolyn:I found the candy tin and wanted to make a mending kit out of it so I put in my stash until inspiration arrived. As soon as I saw the challenge I knew how I would alter the tin (inspiration arrived!). The pattern on the tin reminded me of lattice-work, and since wisteria are the perfect flower to do in a french knot and require some type of support, it was a perfect match.
In addition to adding the beads for the play of light and color I varied the number of threads used in the knots to add dimension. After I finished embroidering the vine, I felt the piece really needed a way to transition into the background so I dug up some gold braiding that was originally much too heavy for the piece and separated it. In doing so the braid no longer was tight enough so I used the blue thread to add some couching and french knots to keep in snug against the edge.As a pre-pubescent pixie, I did a lot of needle work but stopped as I progressed through my education. After I graduated I would occasionally revisit it, but until this challenge, I had not picked it up in a long time. I literally did have to “dig out” my needlework supplies.